Duncan Pollock


After matriculating from Pretoria Boys High in 1989, Duncan spent 3 and a half years at Pretoria University, where he, rather unsuccessfully, attempted to complete a BCom. Although his academic endeavours waned, it is here that he began his career in radio, joining the then Radio Tuks as a DJ in his 1st year (1990).


Duncan2Whilst still at Radio Tuks, transmitting to the various hostel dining halls via a landline, Duncan began working professionally at ShowTime Music Radio (SMR), which was an on-site station at the Shell Ultra City on the N1 between Pretoria and Johannesburg, SMR ultimately became the 1st independently licensed radio station in South Africa when it received a temporary broadcast license, in association with ‘Arrive Alive’ to broadcast for about 10 days, over Easter in 1992. ‘We broadcast from a caravan, on site at the Shell Service station at the top of Main road in Melville near the then Rand Afrikaans University (now UJ). The location was a bit dodgy, but we were on air and that’s all that mattered…..we were all living the dream.’

Subsequent to leaving SMR in 1994, and although there was no formal employ, ‘….as we worked as and when temporary licenses were approved,…’ Duncan joined Solid Gold FM, also the holder of a temporary license, initially as the week-end breakfast host and then the week-day afternoon host. ‘We played great classics, just like Magic 828, and I worked for Tony Sanderson, just like at Magic 828. One thing we do not do at Magic 828 is broadcast horseracing live on air, which we did on Solid Gold. A daunting task, when you are working with animals who really don’t care about starting anything on time…’, says Pollock. Solid Gold officially closed down in 1996, subsequent to a lengthy, and unfortunately unsuccessful bid for a permanent broadcasting license through the then Independent Broadcasting Authority (IBA). Solid Gold’s license frequency was ultimately granted to Yfm, and the rest as they say is history.

Duncan3The wheel, however, always turns, sometimes faster than others, but it always does, ‘…. and here I am, back with Tony, in another city, 20 years later, but still playing the biggest hits all day, every day.’

During the past 20 years, Duncan spent 12 years working at Sun International as a Gaming Marketing Manager, subsequently moving to Cape Town in 2008 to work at Grand Parade Investments in their Gaming division. During those 20 years though, his love for broadcasting was never far away, having read news  on the Northern-spilt of Jacaranda 94.2, Jacaranda RMfm for 4 years whilst living in Polokwane, he also hosted the Week-end breakfast show on Jacaranda 94.2 between 2006 and 2008, and most recently read sport on 567 Cape Talk and kFM in 2010 and 2011. Duncan also continues to host local and international boxing events as a ring-announcer for Supersport, and has been doing so for the last 18-odd years.


Duncan has been married to Nell-Louise since 1999 and they have a son, Rees, who was born in Polokwane in 2004.