International Firefighters Day Stellenbosch
International Fire Fighter’s Day pays tribute to firefighters who have lost their lives in the line of duty, protecting life and property, and it also celebrates the dedication and commitment of fire and rescue services worldwide.
It is celebrated all over the world, on St Florian’s Day, May 4, with St Florian being the patron saint of the firefighting fraternity.
Stellenbosch Fire & Rescue, supported by Cape Winelands Fire & Rescue, is host to celebrations for the whole of the Western Cape.
The following regions and organisations are also represented:
- Mossel Bay
- West Coast
- City of Cape Town
Magic828 Music Radio’s ‘Groove on the Move’ will be there bringing the voice, vibe and of course the magic.
Watch the procession of 53 vehicles and 150 firefighters as it drives through Stellenbosch and surrounds, then make your way to The Braak to watch exciting demonstrations of firefighting and rescue operations, and to cheer on the teams from all the participating agencies as they compete for top prizes in a variety of arduous events.
- 07:40 Motorcade vehicles assemble at Stellenbosch Fire and Rescue
- 08:30 Procession departs
- 09:20 Motorcade procession arrives at The Braak.
- 10:00 Opening prayer and Bell Ceremony
- 10:40 Cape Winelands and Stellenbosch Squad drill
- 10:50 City of Cape Town and Overstrand combined Rope Rescue & HP Drill
- 11:00 Cape Winelands and City of Cape Town Hazardous Materials Decontamination drill
- 11:10 VWS (Volunteer Wildfire Services) Wildland Fire Suppression
- 11:20 City of Cape Town Foam Drill
- 11:30 Stellenbosch Fire and Rescue Fire and Life Safety presentation
- Firefighter Team Challenge commences