News

Joburg ‘unfit to host G20′ : DA slams leadership vacuum and failing services

todayAugust 1, 2025 31

Background
share close

Just days after US President Donald Trump said he will likely not attend the G20 Summit in South Africa, citing “very bad policies,” Democratic Alliance Gauteng leader Solly Msimanga says the City of Joburg is not ready to host the high-profile event.

Msimanga, who briefed the media on Thursday outside the Johannesburg City Council, blamed what he described as a “lack of leadership” in the city, saying Johannesburg is far from prepared.

The event will be held in Johannesburg in November.

“Why is it that they cannot even appoint a city manager?” he asked. 

“As we’re sitting here, the city doesn’t have a city manager. They’ve seconded someone from the province – from Cogta. Why is that the case?“

In January this year, the city appointed Tshepo Makola as acting city manager after the Johannesburg High Court ruled that the appointment of former city manager Floyd Brink was unlawful and irregular. 

Makola, previously the city’s chief operating officer, assumed the role temporarily.

Msimanga’s remarks follow Trump’s announcement aboard Air Force One on Tuesday that he will “probably not” attend the summit.

“I think maybe I’ll send somebody else because I’ve had a lot of problems with South Africa,” Trump said.

 “They have some very bad policies… A lot of people are being killed. I’d like to, but I don’t think I will.”

Trump’s comments reflect long-standing tensions between his administration and Pretoria.

He has repeatedly made unsubstantiated claims of violence against white farmers in South Africa, a claim the South African government has consistently rejected.

The White House has also cited concerns over the country’s Black Economic Empowerment policies and land expropriation legislation passed in January 2023.

Meanwhile, to tackle Johannesburg’s mounting infrastructure and service delivery issues ahead of the G20, Joburg mayor Dada Morero launched the “bomb squad” last month to address the issue.

ANC Veterans League President Dr. Snuki Zikalala leads the team.

Morero said the team’s mandate is to identify crisis areas and support municipal units in ensuring efficient service delivery.

However, Msimanga remains sceptical. 

“President Cyril Ramaphosa cannot then just come and talk to us about a bomb squad. That is not actually addressing the basics. We’re on our own here. We’ve been left with no leadership.”

He said the DA has already tabled actionable proposals.

“We’re ready to share our ideas, to allow experts to come and engage on behalf of the residents. Politics aside, this is about ensuring that Johannesburg becomes the city of gold we all know it can be.”

Joburg continues to battle long-standing infrastructure problems including hijacked buildings, a water shortage crisis, rolling power outages, pothole-riddled roads, non-functioning traffic lights, high crime, and alleged corruption in various departments.

Morero has said the bomb squad is part of a broader turnaround plan, but critics argue the initiative lacks transparency.

DA caucus leader in Johannesburg, Belinda Kayser-Echeozonjoku, said many G20 delegates are expected to stay in Sandton, which she said is currently plagued by service disruptions.

“Last week, Sandton was without water for eight days,” she said. 

“There are ditches all across Sandton, where these delegates will be staying. They’re doing the bare minimum to make it appear as if they’re fixing things.”

Kayser-Echeozonjoku said the city has yet to release the terms of reference for the presidential working group (PWG), or clarify how much money is being spent on the bomb squad.

“We’ve asked for a plan. We don’t know what they’re doing. We don’t know how much is being allocated,” she said. “These are unconstitutional, parallel structures. We have heads of departments who should be doing this work.”

She said the city is also suffering from a leadership vacuum at the executive level.

“There’s no MMC of finance. The MMC of transport, Kenny Kunene, is on suspension – he’s resigned. So who’s fixing the roads? Is the mayor going to be the MMC of finance and transport too?”

This comes after Margaret Arnolds, who was the MCC for Finance, was elected as the new City of Joburg Council Speaker, for the second time earlier this month.

She replaced ActionSA’s Nobuhle Mthembu after she was removed in a motion of no confidence.

The DA said it has written to the National Treasury about what it says are violations of the Municipal Finance Management Act related to bomb squad expenditures.

“How are they being paid?” she asked. “What are the HODs doing when there’s a bomb squad duplicating their roles?”

The DA insists Johannesburg is not ready to host G20 in the province.

simon.majadibodu@iol.co.za

IOL Politics

Written by: IOL News

Rate it

Previous post

Proteas shock Australia in World Championship of Legends semi-final

Sports

Proteas shock Australia in World Championship of Legends semi-final

Led by none other than AB de Villiers, South Africa Champions stunned Australia Champions by one run in their semi-final of the World Championship of Legends, in Birmingham, on Thursday.With Australia chasing 187 for victory for a place in the final of the T20 tournament for retired cricketing legends, skipper De Villiers helped affect a run out off the final ball of their innings as they needed two to tie […]

todayAugust 1, 2025 48


Magic 828

Magic 828 AM is a South African commercial radio station playing the best of hits from the 80s, 90s and 2000’s

Download Our App

Don’t miss a track or memorable tune. Download the Magic828 App now on your mobile phone by clicking here!

0%