News

Pretoria court denies bail to three in e-hailing driver murder case

todayJune 23, 2026 18

Background
share close

The Pretoria Magistrate’s Court has denied bail to three accused linked to the killing of a 23-year-old e-hailing driver, in a case the State says involves premeditated murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

The decision was handed down on Tuesday in the matter involving Goitsione Machidi, 25, McClaren Mushwana, 30, and Thabang Kenneth Mothwa, 27.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said they are charged alongside three other accused, Dikeledi Tears Mphela, 24, Tumishang Mogau Mabutla, 23, and Ofentse Senwamadi, 18, who previously abandoned their bail applications.

“It is alleged that the six accused acted in common purpose to kill the e-hailing driver and rob him of his cellphone and vehicle in Atteridgeville on 11 February 2026,” Mahanjana said.

According NPA, the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court has denied bail to three accused, Machidi, Mushwana, and Mothwa, 27.

The State further alleges that “the six accused acted in common purpose to kill the e-hailing driver and rob him of his cellphone and vehicle in Atteridgeville on 11 February 2026.”

Investigations by the South African Police Service led to the arrest of all six suspects at different stages during February 2026.

Although all six initially abandoned their bail applications, Machidi, Mushwana and Mothwa later renewed their bid for release, arguing that the State’s case was weak.

“The application was opposed by Prosecutor Chris Maruma, who argued that the accused are facing serious charges and that their release would disturb public peace and undermine public confidence in the administration of justice,” Mahanjana said.

He also noted that Mothwa has a pending matter at the Cullinan Magistrates’ Court relating to possession of a stolen vehicle, for which he was previously granted bail.

In its ruling, the court found that the State had established a strong prima facie case and that the accused failed to show exceptional circumstances warranting their release.

The court concluded that bail was not justified under the circumstances, and the matter was postponed to September 1, 2026, for further investigation.

IOL News

Written by: IOL News

Rate it

Previous post

News

‘She will forever live in our hearts’ | UKZN pays tribute to Dr Kelly Fredericks

The University of KwaZulu-Natal's College of Health Sciences has paid a touching tribute to Dr Kelly Fredericks. Fredericks died in Sydenham on Thursday, June 18.In the post, shared on Facebook, the Department of Family Medicine described Fredericks as a rare individual."Kelly was one of those rare individuals whose competence was matched only by her kindness. She inspired those around her through her optimism, dedication, and genuine care for others."We were […]

todayJune 23, 2026 611 1


Magic 828

Magic 828 AM is a South African commercial radio station playing the best of hits from the 80s, 90s and 2000’s

Download Our App

Don’t miss a track or memorable tune. Download the Magic828 App now on your mobile phone by clicking here!

0%