Sports

Sharks confirm adverse anti-doping finding for Junior Bok prop Kai Pratt

todayJuly 8, 2026 47

Background
share close

The Sharks confirmed on Wednesday that junior prop Kai Pratt has been informed that a urine sample he provided returned an adverse analytical finding for a prohibited substance.

Pratt, who was part of the Junior Springbok squad before sustaining a serious foot injury, was tested on 10 April in Stellenbosch, with the results released last month by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (Saids).

Currently undergoing rehabilitation following surgery on his foot, the Sharks youngster elected to have his B sample tested this week.

“As this is a confidential and ongoing process, we are unable to comment further on any specifics relating to the matter,” a Sharks statement read.

“The Sharks take all matters relating to player welfare, education and compliance with anti-doping regulations extremely seriously. We remain committed to providing our players with the necessary guidance and support regarding their responsibilities under anti-doping regulations, while respecting the processes and rights of all parties involved.”

Earlier this year, Pratt received an invitation to the Springbok alignment camp in Cape Town, with head coach Rassie Erasmus saying it was exciting to work with young players like him.

He sustained the foot injury that has ruled him out of the current World Rugby U20 Championship during the Junior Springboks’ clash against Argentina U20 in April.

His rehabilitation programme is expected to take approximately six months.

Earlier, former University of the Witwatersrand loose forward Liam Santos was suspended for three years following a positive test for the use of anabolic steroids. 

Springbok and Lions tighthead Asenathi Ntlabakanye also received a suspension of 18 months this year following a prolonged hearing after he tested positive for Anastrozole and DHEA in 2025.

Written by: IOL News

Rate it

Previous post

News

What documents do you need to contest a blocked ID? Everything you need to know

South Africans who have had their identity documents blocked have less than 48 hours to contest the status, the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) said on Thursday, issuing a "last and final call".The deadline, set for July 10, marks the end of a long-standing administrative investigation into flagged identity numbers and cards, with the department warning that failure to act will result in permanent cancellation.The DHA said the notice was […]

todayJuly 8, 2026


Magic 828

Magic 828 AM is a South African commercial radio station playing the best of hits from the 80s, 90s and 2000’s

Download Our App

Don’t miss a track or memorable tune. Download the Magic828 App now on your mobile phone by clicking here!

0%