Stellenbosch Flying Club AIRSHOW
Dubbed FASHKOSH, a play on Stellenbosch’s official airfield name FASH and OSHKOSH, the single biggest airshow and gathering of aviation enthusiasts in the world which takes place annually at Oshkosh Wisconsin in the USA, the 2019 Stellenbosch Airshow takes place on the 23rd of March and promises to be bigger, louder and more exciting than in previous years.
Friday 22nd March is a practice day for the participating pilots and the Stellenbosch Flying Club will host a youth development day with around 200 learners from local schools attending where they will have the opportunity to gain first hand insights into possible careers in aviation. They will also be able to get up close to the participating pilots and aircraft, in particular the South African Airforce.
Magic’s Groove on the Move Van will be there on Satuday and contributing to the Magic of the Day. Did somebody say “Magic in the AIR”?
Aviators are welcome to fly in and are required to register their intention to do so by emailing email@example.com or by whatsapp to the club GM Anton Theart on 0798734567. Due to limited space the cutoff for fly-in registration is 19 March and all aircraft flying in are required to be on the ground and parked by 09 00 on the day of the event. The normal FASH joining procedure as published on the club website at www.stelfly.co.za is to be followed and ATC instructions should be listened for on the airfield frequency which is 119.3. Parking will be in the visitors area and you should bring your own tow bar for ground handling. All arriving pilots and their passengers are required to pay the normal R150 per person entrance fee by purchasing a ticket on Webtickets before arriving.
Those wishing to fly in the day before and camp on the field may do so for a fee of R200 which is payable on arrival. Bring your own tent to camp under the wing of your aircraft. Ablutions and braai facilities will be available.
Departures will be permitted after the completion of the display program from 16 00
The program for show day provides non-stop adrenalin and entertainment with the line-up consisting of the following:
- Power paragliders
- Large scale model jets
- The biggest SA flag skydiver (A first for Stellenbosch)
- South African Airforce Silver Falcons
- L39 fighter jet
- Ex SAAF Bosbok
- Glider and tug display
- Vintage De Haviland Tiger Moth and Chipmunk display
- Emergency vehicle cavalcade
- Bell 407 helicopter
- Vintage Howard display
- Vintage Cessna 195 display
- Boeing 737 airliner display (First for Stellenbosch)
- The HULK Sonerai 2 aerobatic display
- Pilatus PC24 Business jet (First for Stellenbosch)
- Motor glider display
- Raptors formation aerobatics display (First for Stellenbosch)
- RV solo aerobatic display
- Gyrocopter M16 display
- Shock Cub display (First for Stellenbosch)
- Team Extreme aerobatic display
- Aviat Husky short field performance display (First Stellenbosch female display pilot)
- Nashua Extra 300 (First for Stellenbosch)
- T6 Harvard display
- Vintage Boeing Stearman display
- Black Hwk Helicopter display (First for Stellenbosch)
- Huey Helicopter display
- Piper Malibu display (First for Stellenbosch)
- Piper Aerostar display
- Airborne armed response and medevac demonstration (First for Stellenbosch)
- Working on Fire demonstration
World renowned airshow commentator Brian Emmenis and Capital Sounds will bring you informative and entertaining commentary and food and refreshments will be available throughout the day.
Food and refreshments
A wide variety of food vendors will ensure that you can have a meal to your liking. Stellenbrau will be serving their products in the beer tent and a number of wine producers from the area will have their produce available for tasting and sale.
Getting there and getting in
The show takes place on the Stellenbosch Airfield, Aerodrome road, off the R44 between Stellenbosch and Somerset West.
Gates open for spectators at 08:00 with visiting aircraft of various descriptions flying in until the emergency cavalcade procession at 10:15 whereafter the show will be opened by the skydivers
Tickets are available online at Webtickets at R150 for adults and R100 for children. Under four years old enter for free. Numbers are limited and very few tickets will be available at the gate so get yours online early.