Sports

Miguel Cardoso alleges CAF final spying as Sundowns boss hits out after goal fest

todayMay 10, 2026 20

Background
share close

Miguel Cardoso did not hold back after Mamelodi Sundowns’ dramatic 7-4 demolition of Siwelele FC on Saturday evening.

Instead of focusing purely on the chaotic goal fest at Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium, the Portuguese mentor used the moment to launch an explosive attack centred around the upcoming CAF Champions League final.

Cardoso accused Sundowns’ final opponents ASFAR of receiving tactical footage from the Brazilians’ recent clash against Kaizer Chiefs.

The Sundowns coach also expressed frustration over what he believes is a lack of support and protection for his side during one of the most important stages of their season.

“We are in a very uncomfortable situation when you have to think that after that match in four days, we will be playing one of the most important games that can be played as a footballer or in a coach or a club’s life,” he told SuperSport TV.

“And we don’t feel any support for it.”

The Portuguese coach then shifted attention toward a far more controversial claim.

Cardoso alleged that ASFAR had access to wide-angled tactical footage from Sundowns’ recent league match shortly after it was played, suggesting information had been shared externally ahead of the continental final.

“I can tell you one thing, people might not accept what I’m going to say but I know that ASFAR, on the following day we played against Kaizer Chiefs had a wide-angled video from our game… delivered,” he said.

“I know because someone saw. So we are fighting against a lot of things but we are strong enough to deal everything.”

The comments immediately added another layer of tension ahead of the CAF Champions League final.

Cardoso has increasingly adopted a siege mentality in recent weeks as pressure intensifies around both the continental campaign and the Betway Premiership title race.

Sundowns remain top of the league standings but continue to face pressure from Orlando Pirates, while simultaneously balancing preparations for one of the biggest matches in the club’s recent history.

The coach also compared this season’s campaign to the previous one, insisting this current title challenge has required significantly greater resilience from his players.

“Last year was a season completely different from this one – this season was a walk in the park for some of our opponents,” he explained.

“We have been fighting like big, big men, with a lot of commitment, with a lot of will to overcome difficulties, and we will continue until the limit of our strengths.”

Despite the controversy surrounding his remarks, Cardoso ended by praising the mentality within his squad.

“I feel privileged to be here, to be coach of this team, this group of players that are very resilient and find energy when there’s nothing to gift – they are magnificent and I’m proud of that.”

Written by: IOL News

Rate it

Previous post

Sports

Orlando Pirates keep title hopes alive with easy win over Magesi, while Chaine breaks a record

Magesi               (0) 0Orlando Pirates (2) 3Maswanganyi 8’, Sebelebele 22’, Appollis 60’Orlando Pirates ensured that their Betway Premiership fate remained firmly in their own hands after beating Magesi 3-0 at the New Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday night, handling the pressure that Mamelodi Sundowns had applied earlier in the day.Pirates are second on the log with 65 points, three behind Sundowns, who have played one […]

todayMay 9, 2026 39


Magic 828

Magic 828 AM is a South African commercial radio station playing the best of hits from the 80s, 90s and 2000’s

Download Our App

Don’t miss a track or memorable tune. Download the Magic828 App now on your mobile phone by clicking here!

0%