Sports

Siyabonga Mabena returns: Young stars ready to support Mamelodi Sundowns’ title quest

todayAugust 6, 2025 82

Background
share close

Siyabonga Mabena and the other youngsters are not expected to carry Mamelodi Sundowns this season, though they must strive to succeed with every passing game.

Mabena made his long-awaited return to competitive football in the MTN8 quarter-final against Richards Bay last Sunday, following a lengthy injury layoff.

The 18-year-old made his return count as he put the final nail in the coffin, helping Sundowns thrash Bay 4–0 to reach the semi-final, where they’ll face Orlando Pirates.

Mabena’s comeback has fuelled belief among some Masandawana supporters that he will finally fulfil his potential this season and come of age.

After all, his injury not only saw him miss the U20 AFCON — which Amajita won — but also ruled him out of the prestigious FIFA Club World Cup in the US last month.

Kutlwano Letlhaku, 19, meanwhile, featured in both tournaments, paving the way for other young players at the club.

Sundowns coach Miguel Cardoso, however, stated that the youngsters are not expected to carry the team on their shoulders, as they are still undergoing gradual development.

“We started working with these youngsters last year, but Mabena was injured,” said Cardoso during the launch of the Betway Premiership this week. “Letlhaku has been with us.

“That’s the way we’ve been doing things — following procedures that we believe are right for developing youngsters, and teaching them the tools they need at a professional level.

“These are things they didn’t have at Diski or youth level in order to succeed. As the level rises, they need to develop additional skills too.

“We are trying to upgrade them, but obviously there’s been great work done by the coaches who worked with them before.

“The challenges are much bigger now. From time to time, we shouldn’t expect them to carry the responsibility of a team like Sundowns, though we do expect them to succeed.”

Mabena and Letlhaku will be expected to contribute to Sundowns’ title defence this season, starting with their opening game against Chippa United in Gqeberha on Saturday (3pm).

This game will require Mabena and company to be in top form, as they’ll come up against Sinethemba Badela — who coached many of them in the Sundowns reserve team.

Cardoso, however, is unbothered by any insider knowledge that the protégé of his predecessor, Rulani Mokwena, may have on his side — insisting he expects nothing less than victory.

“Everybody knows Sundowns’ players. We respect the coach, and we know he was part of the club’s beautiful years. We respect him,” Cardoso said.

“I was very pleased to speak with him today, and it’s a new chapter in his life. I hope that on Saturday we win, and I also hope he has a fantastic career as a head coach.”

Sundowns have recently been caught up in transfer speculation, as Lucas Ribeiro, Peter Shalulile and Khuliso Mudau were all absent from the matchday squad against Bay.

The trio are reportedly considering moves away from the club, following impressive performances over the last two seasons that have drawn interest from abroad.

Cardoso said the club is working on certain matters regarding the trio and will make announcements in due course.

The Portugal-born coach added that he is simply leading from the front, ensuring that the players currently at his disposal perform at their best.

“People think that because you win regularly — or have won regularly — it’s an easy job,” Cardoso said. “It’s not exactly like that.

“I’ve been on both sides, and it’s tough to fight for results. But it’s also very tough to win every match. It’s a mission I embrace with excitement and a sense of responsibility.

“You need to perform every day — from the moment you wake up until you sleep — so that you can put the players in the right mindset.”

Written by: IOL News

Rate it

Previous post

Man accused of killing woman after Facebook date abandons bail application

News

Man accused of killing woman after Facebook date abandons bail application

A 36-year-old man accused of killing a woman after meeting her on Facebook has abandoned his bail application after appearing at the Pretoria Magistrate's Court.Helder Isidro from Eersterust is accused of killing 30-year-old Loveness Magabe and has been charged with murder and defeating the ends justice.Lumka Mahanjana, the regional spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), revealed that the pair initially connected in a section of Facebook dedicated to sex work. […]

todayAugust 6, 2025 95


Magic 828

Magic 828 AM is a South African commercial radio station playing the best of hits from the 80s, 90s and 2000’s

Download Our App

Don’t miss a track or memorable tune. Download the Magic828 App now on your mobile phone by clicking here!

0%