Brian’s Crackerjack Chilli Con Carne
Lockdown has brought many South Africans back into the kitchen to prepare meals that bring us comfort and remind us of the good times. Brian Oxley is as happy in the kitchen as he is behind a microphone and has generously shared his chilli con carne recipe to make as a microwave meal in minutes or allow to simmer away on the stove.
Either way, you can make it for your family and share the Magic, together.
This recipe serves 2 – 3 people
Minced Beef – 500g
Onion – 1
Garlic – 2 cloves
Tomatoes – 1 Tin
Red Kidney Beans – 1 Tin
Olive Oil – tablespoon
Tomato Ketchup or Paste – 1 tablespoon
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Beer (or non-alcoholic beer)
Spices: Cumin. Cayenne Pepper. Salt. Chilli Sauce or Spice.
Use a large deep frying pan with a lid if cooking on the stovetop and extend cooking time appropriately OR Microwave on high settings
• Chop the onions and garlic and place in a medium-size dish (with lid) together with the Olive Oil.
• Place lid on the dish
• Cook for 4 minutes
• Add in the can of tomatoes, a teaspoon of Cumin, Chilli Sauce or Spice, Cayenne Pepper & Salt.
• Cook for 5 minutes.
• Add in the minced Beef and Tomato Ketchup or Paste – stir into the sauce.
• Cook until Beef has lost its red colour. Stirring regularly.
• Add 1/2 bottle of Beer (or alcohol-free beer)
• Add 1/2 can of Red Kidney Beans – Stir together.
• Cook for 10 minutes
• Add 1 tablespoon of Sugar
• Cook for further 5 minutes, stirring regularly until all liquid has evaporated and sauce is moist – but not dry.
Grate your Cheddar Cheese and slice Lettuce into strips. Heat Tacos for 30 seconds. Serve with minced beef in Tacos and cheese and lettuce.
P.S. When you make this recipe, remember to tag @Magic828Music and use the #MagicQuarantineCookbook on social media so we can see your pictures. Happy cooking!