Entertainment

Maxwell’s South African concerts cancelled, refunds to be issued

todayAugust 3, 2026 35

Background
share close

Fans hoping to see Grammy-winning R&B singer-songwriter Maxwell perform in South Africa next week will have to wait a little longer as organisers announced the cancellation of his highly anticipated shows.

Event promoter Vertex Events confirmed on Monday that Maxwell’s performances, scheduled for August 8 at SunBet Arena in Pretoria and August 11 at Grand Arena, GrandWest in Cape Town, have been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the artist’s control.

According to Vertex Events, Maxwell’s management informed the company that the singer would no longer be able to travel to South Africa for the concerts, despite efforts from both parties to explore alternative arrangements.

“Several options were explored between Maxwell’s team and Vertex Events. Unfortunately, the only option left was to cancel the shows,” the promoter said in a statement, adding that the circumstances were beyond the control of both the organisers and the artist.

In a message to his South African fans, Maxwell expressed his disappointment over the cancellation.

“Due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control, I’m unfortunately no longer able to perform in South Africa as planned. This decision wasn’t made lightly. I sincerely apologise to everyone who was looking forward to the shows. I appreciate your understanding and continued support. I hope to be back with you all soon,” he said.

Vertex Events revealed that extensive efforts were made to reschedule the concerts within 2026, but no suitable dates could be secured because of unavoidable scheduling constraints.

The promoter also emphasised that neither party had breached their contractual agreement and described the relationship between Maxwell’s team and Vertex Events as professional throughout the process.

Although disappointed by the outcome, Vertex Events said Maxwell remains committed to returning to South Africa and is already working with the promoter to secure new dates in 2027.

The company added that preparations for the concerts had been completed, with venues booked and production logistics finalised ahead of what were expected to be sold-out performances.

Ticket holders will receive full refunds, with Webtickets expected to contact customers directly regarding the refund process.

While fans will have to wait longer than anticipated, organisers remain optimistic that Maxwell will return next year to deliver the world-class performances South African audiences have been eagerly anticipating.

IOL

Written by: IOL News

Rate it

Previous post

News

Three men found shot dead in bushes in Eastern Cape

Eastern Cape police have launched a triple murder investigation after the bodies of three young men, all bearing gunshot wounds, were discovered in bushes in Peace Village, KwaNobuhle, on Monday morning.Police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said the bodies were found opposite Thuthula Street at about 9.35am on 3 August 2026 after officers were alerted to the scene.Police identified the victims as 17-year-old Alwaba Toba, 20-year-old Ayabonga Jantjie and 22-year-old Bonginkosi […]

todayAugust 3, 2026 19


Magic 828

Magic 828 AM is a South African commercial radio station playing the best of hits from the 80s, 90s and 2000’s

Download Our App

Don’t miss a track or memorable tune. Download the Magic828 App now on your mobile phone by clicking here!

0%