Sports

Brendon McCullum sacked as England Test coach following string of defeats and off-field drama

todayJuly 12, 2026 24

Background
share close

Brendon McCullum has left his role as England’s Test head coach but will remain in charge of the national limited-overs set-up, with England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive Richard Gould saying results had made his red-ball position untenable.

England have lost seven of their last nine Tests under the former New Zealand captain. This includes a woeful 4-1 Ashes defeat in Australia in 2025/26 and last month’s 2-1 loss at home to New Zealand, with both series overshadowed by allegations of a team drinking culture.

“I’ve absolutely loved coaching the Test side and I’m incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved together,” said McCullum in an ECB statement. “Of course, I’m gutted not to be continuing, but I respect the decision.”

Former England captain Ben Stokes announced his international retirement during what turned out to be a crushing defeat in the series finale against New Zealand at Trent Bridge — the final match of McCullum’s red-ball reign.

McCullum’s time as Test boss started in remarkable fashion as Stokes led England to 3-0 series wins over New Zealand and in Pakistan, where 500 runs were scored in one day, before a thrilling 2-2 home Ashes in 2023. But 4-1 losses in India and Australia exposed the limits of England’s “one size fits all” approach.

After a winning start to the New Zealand series, fresh off-field problems saw Stokes and fast bowler Gus Atkinson omitted from the second Test after breaking a midnight team curfew in a London bar. England are now looking for a new Test coach and captain ahead of next month’s series at home to Pakistan.

After the Ashes, Gould warned against a football-style culture of summarily hiring and firing coaches. But on Sunday, while praising McCullum for “breathing new life” into the Test side, Gould told said at Lord’s: “Unfortunately, the results have not gone the way that we wanted them to go.

“It’s always been a results-based business,” said Gould, adding McCullum was “cognisant of that”.

“Results mean we need to make a change,” insisted Gould, with 10 Tests for England between now and next year’s Ashes on home soil.

Only England managing director Rob Key remains from a Test leadership trio that once included Stokes and McCullum.

Sunday’s announcement came the day after England’s white-ball side went to No 1 in the T20 rankings following a 56-run thrashing of India in Southampton that completed a 4-0 series sweep of the T20 world champions.

“My focus now is on giving everything I’ve got to the white-ball teams and helping England keep moving forward,” said McCullum, 44, who took on the role of England limited-overs coach in 2024.

There have long been calls for Andy Flower to have a second stint as England coach. The Zimbabwe cricket great was in charge from 2009 to 2014 and oversaw three successful Ashes campaigns, including their last away success in 2010/11.

Flower, however, is currently the coach of IPL side Royal Challengers Bengaluru.  |  AFP

Written by: IOL News

Rate it

Previous post

News

Zimbabwean fugitive Ndodana Tshuma’s arrest raises alarms over South Africa’s border security

As investigations unfold into the shocking case of Ndodana Tshuma, a 45-year-old Zimbabwean man accused of murdering his wife and two children in England, South Africa’s fragile border security has come under fire.The arrest of Tshuma, confirmed by SAPS on Saturday, has sparked concerns from crime and security activists that porous borders are turning the country into a magnet for international criminals.Tshuma fled the UK after allegedly committing the gruesome […]

todayJuly 12, 2026 45


Magic 828

Magic 828 AM is a South African commercial radio station playing the best of hits from the 80s, 90s and 2000’s

Download Our App

Don’t miss a track or memorable tune. Download the Magic828 App now on your mobile phone by clicking here!

0%